Charity Shop Vintage Finds, Granny Chic, Sewing and Baking with Giddy Aunt Lola

Friday 29 November 2013

My Saucy Spicy Fakeaways


My Favourite Fakeaways
I am a real spice hound and adore a good curry but Indian restaurants are thin on the ground locally and not cheap.  There is nothing like making your own curry from scratch without the aid of a shop bought curry sauce for getting a real spice hit.  Here are some of my current kid friendly curry recipes to add a little spice to your Friday evening.



Hairy Dieters Chicken Korma
Last Christmas, I gave my current husband a copy of The Hairy Dieters book and he thought I was hinting that he needed to lose weight; not at all, he is a fine specimen of manhood, I am simply very fond of the Hairy Bikers.  I regularly make the Chicken Korma and Sweet and Sour Chicken from this book; both recipes are child friendly in that the spices add depth of flavour without heat.  You can find the Korma recipe here.



River Cottage Butter Chicken
This recipe is from Meat by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall and is a really good supper party dish for friends.  The Meat cookbook is the recipe book we turn to most often here at Saucy Towers and I confess I have a little bit of a soft spot for the lovely Hugh.  His Butter Chicken or Murgh Makhani recipe is wonderfully spicy with a luxurious depth of flavour.  This is not a quick dish to knock up in a hurry, but one you need to plan for; it's well worth the effort and is guaranteed to impress anyone you make it for.  You can find the recipe reproduced here.  


SkintDad
I recently discovered SkintDad's blog and he does a regular Saturday Night Fakeaway blog post which has some great recipes and not just curries.  I haven't tried any of his recipes yet but I certainly plan to give some a go, so hop on over and take a look; he does it all on a tight budget and everything is made from scratch.


A Girl called Jack
I have been following the blog of Jack Monroe for a few months and she famously managed with a £10 a week food budget for her and her little boy.  She comes up with very cheap but tasty looking recipes, has recently had a recipe book published and has a weekly column in The Guardian.   Jack is a political animal and campaigner on poverty related issues; she may not be everyone's cup of tea but she certainly has some great recipes for those on a budget.  Her Fish Tagine recipe tickled my taste buds as it's spicy and contains the unusual ingredient of tinned mandarins.  I am going to give this a go next week and report back with my verdict.

If you have any good fakeaway recipes then I would love to hear about them! Galx




SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I've got that meat cookbook!

    The curry looks delish! Xx


    http://hipslikecinders.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment. GAL x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig