Charity Shop Vintage Finds, Granny Chic, Sewing and Baking with Giddy Aunt Lola

Friday 14 March 2014

Vintage Mirror on The Wall....


....Who is the giddiest aunt of all?!  Some of you eagle-eyed vintage lovers will have noticed the lovely mirror that snuck into my photo's last week in my Vintage Fabric Haul post.   Well here she is in the spotlight and what a beauty she is with her delicate scalloped edge.   I rarely find a bargain in my local Oxfam because it is so jolly expensive; once in a while though, a little treasure tip toes in and gets a reasonable price tag slapped on her behind.  This pretty mirror was a mere £10 and well worth it; an unassuming vintage beauty that makes a lovely dressing table mirror.   


My local hospice CS has been full of some very weird and wonderful things over the last couple of weeks.  There must have been a house clearance from a life long crafter because there was a huge influx of  curious crafting materials, including some very creepy looking vintage hair pieces for dolls.  There were lots of old arty crafty books on quilt designs, doll making, stencilling and medieval embroidery to name a few; a library for a lifetime's worth of collecting and creating.  Seeing the remnants of this woman's long creative life made me curious about who she  is/was and a little sad at the same time; her creative crafting life must have been curtailed due to death or failing health.  Of course, it could have been a man, but it seems unlikely for that particular generation and it could have been that she just wanted a clear out, but sadly, I think not. 


I found some great dress making tools that may come in useful if I get my dress making mojo back.  A lovely tailors ham and stand, a Tailor Board and a Tailor Clapper; I'd never heard of the last two things but they will be jolly useful I'm sure and as they came as a job lot, I think I got a bargain.  They look unused and I may sell them on my Etsy store, which I am still in the process of getting up and running.  


I haven't been feeling my best lately but the recent sunshine and Spring like weather has given me a boost.  There has also been a pitiful amount of baking this year but I felt the urge for a bit of cake-therapy yesterday so made a mahoosive Victoria Sandwich filled with home made raspberry jam and whipped cream; lush!  My sister popped in with 3 of her 4 gorgeous daughters and it was lovely to have a cake to share with them. 


Oh, she's a little top heavy (the cake, not my sister!!!), but there's nothing wrong with a bit of cake cleavage is there?!  

Enjoy your weekend darlings. Galx
SHARE:

16 comments

  1. Oh I do love a vintage mirror. It's the bevelled edging that gets me excited. Yes! Excited! Liking the bird fabric blind (is it?) - gorgeous. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The blind was my first attempt before I leaned how to make them properly :)

      Delete
  2. Very pretty mirror and YOU, my dear are the giddiest aunt of all ;)

    You found some great treasures...once again. Your cake looks delish even if it is top heavy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cake cleavage!!! That made me giggle - Love your mirror, absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorna - glad to have helped :)

      Delete
  4. Oo! Reminds me that I started a vintage mirror mini collection (for a sometime-in-the-future-so-far-only-imagined hallway, stairs and/or landing). They're currently stashed about the place (parentals' house, y'see), but in such secure hidey-holes I'm not overly sure where they all are. Must carry out a reccy sometime this weekend! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very jealous that you have a mirror collection - lucky girl. Go get them out of storage!

      Delete
  5. I love the mirror - so beautiful. :) Thank you for sharing this. Gentle Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for popping by!
    Love your blog x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you kindly Mrs B - the feeling is mutual! x

      Delete
  7. That vintage mirror is so pretty! You found some great items!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - I thought I might sell the mirror, but then I fell in love with it :)

      Delete
  8. Now THAT is how a cake is supposed to look! I'm so happy to have found your blog, I get ridiculously excited to find fellow Uk bloggers, when I see those words Charity Shop and £ ! I love reading blogs from all over the world of course, but Charity Shop I can relate to (my oldest son is working in one on a Sat and I have him well trained for picking out good stuff for me!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You lucky lady! I wish one of my offspring would volunteer in a charity shop - oh yes, my middle sister does!

      Delete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment. GAL x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig