Charity Shop Vintage Finds, Granny Chic, Sewing and Baking with Giddy Aunt Lola

Monday 11 August 2014

French Toast and Hetty Feather



Last week we kept ourselves out of mischief with a few nice days out, generally pottering about and enjoying the summer sun.  We had a lovely morning spent in Hastings that started off with breakfast at Petit Fi in George Street.  I really love this little cafe/restaurant and they do a super breakfast.  Curly girl ordered french toast with chantilly cream, maple syrup and a berry compote which was deliciously decadent and I had the scrambled eggs (minus the chives they usually add) in case CG didn't like her french toast.  Scrummy!  Petit Fi do a great coffee and also gave us a pretty carafe of cucumber water with our meal; this has started a new trend at Saucy Towers for flavouring drinks with cucumber (mostly gin).  We moved on to the fab Norman Road in St Leonards, where I discovered two lovely new shops - I'll post all about Norman Road later in the hols as you should definitely go visit if you're in the area.


We headed up to London to see Hetty Feather at the beginning of last week; it's a stage production of the Jaqueline Wilson book of the same name about a little girl who is left at the foundling hospital as a baby and discovers the wonder of the circus as a little girl.  The show is a wonderful mix of storytelling, circus skills, singing and very funny; the blurb suggests it's suitable from 7 years old upwards and I would agree with that as the plight of unwanted babies in Victorian times is dealt with in a skilled way that might be difficult for younger children to grasp. 


The small ensemble cast were so talented switching between characters and the end is wonderfully heart warming; I confess I had a few tears in the final scene as I hadn't read the book and didn't know how it ended.  I bought the tickets through the Kids Week website where you get a free child's seat with a paying adult, so only paid £20 in all.  Brilliant show and I think tickets for the show might still be available if you hop over here.  


I know that I've been neglecting you all and haven't told you about all the lovely things I've found in my charity shop adventures of late but I'll make up for it, Old Gal's promise ( a bit like a scout's promise but with a swig of gin involved).  I particularly enjoyed plundering a charity shop whilst in Cornwall where I found lots of old board games and bits and pieces; I get a real kick out of holiday charity shops, don't you?  They always seem so mysterious and exciting compared to the ones at home and are always cheaper than my regular shops.  


That's just a little taste of last week and I'm looking forward to some more fun this week with my girlies.   But first, I have to finish a frozen inspired Elsa dress-up outfit for my little niece's birthday.  I've been using some shiny spangly fabric which is slippery as hell and frays like buggery and some pretty snowflake organza which has covered every inch of the house in glitter!  I shall continue to wrestle the dress into submission today and hope no-one looks at the wonky seams; thank heavens for fabric glue.  Will show you the dress when finished and let you know what I think of the McCall's M7000 pattern.

TTFN. Galx





SHARE:

1 comment

  1. Well, a visit to Hastings Battleaxe country! Petit Fi is lovely, and so is Hanuskas a few doors along the street.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment. GAL x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig