Charity Shop Vintage Finds, Granny Chic, Sewing and Baking with Giddy Aunt Lola

Friday 9 May 2014

Popping My Boot Fair Cherry


All about me 
I hadn't been to a boot fair for about 20 years before venturing out last bank holiday Monday for a shufty at what was on offer at a boot fair in the village of Sissinghurst, so it felt like the first time for me.  I'd only been a couple of times before with my mum many years ago and didn't really enjoy the experience; this was before I'd been possessed by the charity shop habit or been struck down with the vintage love bug.


There were so many stall holders selling pretty vintage items but most of the prices were a bit more than I would pay at a charity shop and one or two had tags with just plain silly prices on them.   As a boot fair virgin I wasn't ready to haggle with stall holders and just kept my eye out for some genuine bargains.  

So, what did I buy?!  First up, I bought a good as new 21 piece dinner service made by Figgjo, a Norwegian company who've been making china since the early 1940's.  The dinner service was wrapped up in a cardboard box, with only a little bit of one plate showing; I was attracted by the duck egg blue rim and when I was told it was £5 for the whole box, I jumped in quick.  Back at home, I unwrapped each plate (6 dessert plates, 6 side plates, 6 dinner plates, 1 platter and 2 tureens) and couldn't believe my luck.  They look unused and in mint condition; BARGAIN!


Next up, 6 little dessert bowls nestling in a serving bowl set me back a whole £2!  I love these bowls so much, with their pretty pink roses and gilt edge; they are marked on the bottom with 'England 114' and may not have the same pedigree as Meakin but are equally lovely.  I also picked up a Midwinter bonbon dish for £2 from the same stall.  


The important factor for me when I am charity shop browsing is to feel that I have got a bargain and not to get carried away and spend more than something is really worth simply because it's pretty, vintage and calling my name; oh you know that Vintage Siren's call, don't you?!   'Oh look at me, I'm Meakin you know, look at my sexy curves and my cute roses, buy me, come on, you know you really need me!'  Thankfully, the 2.5 meters of vintage pink fabric with pretty roses on was only £1, so I was a happy bunny.

I could have spent a fortune on things that caught my eye, but my total spend was only £13.  The last thing I bought was this Nutbrown Pastry Blender for £3; this is the kind of thing I love, although I hadn't realised before that Nutbrown utensils are highly collectable in the vintage world.  I have a Nutbrown pastry wheel that my current husband bought me for Christmas a couple of years ago, so now she has a sister to make lush pies with.  

All in all, I think I did a super job at my first boot fair and I think I'll be trying out some more this summer.  We turned up at 7.30 in the morning and the place was already heaving with sellers and buyers, so next time I shall try to make it a little earlier.

Do you have any boot fair buying tips for me and advice on how to haggle without causing offense?


 This post is linking up with  #AllAboutYou
TTFN. Gal x

PS Don't forget that you can still vote for my blog in the BritMum's Brilliance in Blogging Awards under the craft category.  Just click on the purple and orange button at the top of the sidebar and the craft category is number 14 - you don't have to vote in the other categories if you don't want to.  Thank you :)


SHARE:

9 comments

  1. You got a great little haul of bargains. £1 for all that fabric is amazing! #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous haul - the dinner service is so pretty - I love car boot sales, one man's trash is another man's treasure so they say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving your finds. Like you I have not been to a Boot Fair in donkey's years.
    I would not know where to begin haggling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Veteran haggler here...lol... I probably have caused offence over t.he years but life's to short to worry. Don't hang the fabric on the line or I'm coming round to steal it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks nice! I need to go on a car boot sale. But not to buy but to sell as I have so much stuff that I have to get rid of (mostly baby stuff). My stuff is not as lush like the ones that you bought tho =P #pocolo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow you did really well, I love everything you bought and what a bargain :) I never find such things.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am never any good at finding things at car boots but you did an amazing job!! I love that pastry blender - I don't think I have seen one before. Look forward to seeing what you find next. Thank you for linking to PoCoLo :) x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great haul, I can't wait for the better weather to arrive and then I'll be out there!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such lovely finds! I have yet to hit a car boot sale (I am SO not a morning person!), but maybe one day! Thanks for linking to #AllAboutYou

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment. GAL x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig