Charity Shop Vintage Finds, Granny Chic, Sewing and Baking with Giddy Aunt Lola

Tuesday 6 March 2018

Sewing with Frida Kahlo, My Sewing Muse


In the grip of winter's final fling last week, I was wallowing in the gloriously vibrant and floral world of Freda Kahlo fabric. The particular fabric I have a crush on is the Folklorico collection from Michael Miller; I have some of Freda's Garden, Todo Para Ti and Viva Frida from the range.
The colourful images of Frida go beautifully with some of my vintage floral barkcloth fabric.



 I've been making some quirky cushions to sell at my local craft fair, and picking up the reds in Frida's Garden with some old French barkcloth fabric has proved a popular combination, together with some pom-poms.
In the midst of the snow, Frida's Garden shone out like a beacon of hope for the Spring and Summer to come.  Warm sun on your face, eating outside, seeing the garden blossom and bloom with a riot of colour.


I love the image of the Sacred Heart and made some heavenly scented lavender bags that would be a perfect gift for Mother's Day or a gift for a lovely friend.  After the bees had finishing with the lavender in my garden last summer, I cut and dried it.  I filled the little lavender scented heart bags with it and my sewing room smells glorious.

  I wonder what Frida would think of the world's Frida-mania?  Our obsession with her glorious art and her personal style of mixing traditional Mexican costume, adorning her hair with flowers and that strong mono-brow.   I hope that she would have enjoyed the public's celebration of her iconic image. I definitely have a crush on Frida and all things Mexican.  Especially the food.  Especially Wahaca!

For now, I've run out of pom-poms, and I can't imagine a quirky Frida Cushion without them, so I am off to find some more before the weekend.

Viva Frida! 







SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment. GAL x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig