Charity Shop Vintage Finds, Granny Chic, Sewing and Baking with Giddy Aunt Lola

Friday 20 September 2013

Charity Shop Teapots and Other Stories


Charity Shop Haul
It's Friday, so that must mean it's time for me to share my most recent charity shop finds (you lucky, lucky people).   First up we have this vintage chrome tea pot; she apologises for looking slightly dishevelled but she is patiently waiting to be cleaned up with a bit of spit and polish.  I can't remember how much she cost, but I love her elegant lines and I've found that chrome tea pots do a superior job at keeping their contents nice and hot.


The inside of the pot is fairly gruesome at the moment as it's thick with years of tannin that the older generation believed made tea taste better.  My dear old Granddad never washed his teapots out as he was firmly of the opinion that the mucky brown tea 'grolly' coating the inside of the pot should be left until it built up to a thick tannin under-vest!   I'm going to give this gal a colonic with a dose of bicarbonate of soda (the pot, not Miss Marple, silly!).  I wonder who the previous owner(s) of this lovely tea pot might have been.....perhaps Miss Marple herself once poured tea out to the vicar using this pot, whilst discussing murder most foul?!


As I am in a preserving frenzy at the moment, I am on the look out for suitable receptacles for my fruity boozy concoctions.  I picked up these lovely vintage preserving jars for a couple of quid each and I have bought new rubber seals for them for a few pence.  I would advise you to always give jars like this a good sniff inside to check that there isn't an overwhelming and undesirable smell in them, like vinegar or spice.  I've found it difficult to get rid of such smells in previous jars and they forever retain the whiff of whatever they once contained.  I like the 'Home Sweet Home' motif on them and think they are destined for some glorious preserved pears in brandy.

Have a splendiferous weekend!  Galx
SHARE:

7 comments

  1. Vinegar and baking soda left overnight should get rid of any smell

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had tried this with previous jars, but they were demons and the smell just would not budge - thanks for the advice though :)

      Delete
  2. Your finds are tremendous my dear - Miss Marple herself would be proud of them! X

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the little house scene on the jars! So cute xxx

    Hips Like Cinderella

    ReplyDelete
  4. how super cool!! will coca cola in the teapot get this vile stuff out ... i am a washer not a leaver!

    thanks for linking up with #PoCoLo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I hadn't thought of trying coke - I shall give it a go, thanks!

      Delete
  5. Great finds! Would love to have some pears in brandy ;) Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment. GAL x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig