Charity Shop Vintage Finds, Granny Chic, Sewing and Baking with Giddy Aunt Lola

Monday 30 April 2018

How to make your own bees wax food wrap



Ditch the plastic and ban cling film!  Well, that sounds like I've gone all militant but I am trying in my own small way to show more respect for our wonderful earth by reducing the amount of plastic packaging coming into and leaving my house.  

I have stopped buying cling film.  Yes, I know that this small action will not save the planet, but it feels good not to be using the yucky stuff and it was an easy place to start.  

'So, what are you going to wrap your sandwiches in then, Shazza?!' I hear you all ask. 

'What are you going to put over your food bowls to stop the flies doing disgusting things to your pasta salad?!'



About a year ago, I bought some bees wax food wrap from my local markers market.  I've been using the small amount I purchased for a while, but with no real commitment to using it instead of cling film.  I figured that it would be easy peasy to make some myself, and guess what? It bloody is!

Here's what you need
You need some light to medium weight cotton fabric; nothing fancy or posh, just whatever you have.  As I have a mahoosive fabric stash, I was spoilt for choice.  
You will need some food grade bees wax pellets, which I found very easily and pretty cheaply.


Here's how do it
I cut my fabric to the size of my largest baking tray, so that it could lay flat in a single layer.  Line your baking tray with some foil to protect it or you will end up with waxy chicken dippers (I mean falafels).  Then I sprinkled on the bees wax pellets.  You really don't need more than I have used in the picture, as it all spreads out as it melts.
I put my oven tray in the baking oven of my Aga for 5 minutes, which was plenty of time for the wax to melt and soak into the fabric.
You must take the newly coated beeswax fabric off the baking tray straight away, when it comes out of the oven, so it doesn't get stuck to the foil.  And use tongs!
I placed the waxed fabric over my clothes airer for 5 minutes to set and become cool enough to handle.
And that's it, job done.



I cut several circles of fabric to make bowl covers, and the rectangles are good for sarnies. 
To use the bees wax wrap, you simply use the warmth from your hands to mould the wrap around whatever you want to cover and it will keep it's shape.

To clean your friendly food wrap, you just give it a wipe with a damp cloth or you can give it a gentle wash with a little mild soapy water.  I understand from my research on t'internet, that your wrap will last for about a year of regular use before you should compost it and make some new wrap.
Words of wisdom from the web:
Don't use your wraps in the microwave
Don't use with hot food
Don't eat them

Confession...
So, I'll 'fess up that I purchased my bees wax pellets from Amazon.   I realise that this is bonkers, because a man in a white van had to drive half way across the country to bring me my beeswax in a shed load of packaging!!  Yep, I didn't think that one through...I think the ideal would be to get some bees wax from a local provider; you can easily use a block of bees wax by grating the wax onto your fabric.

I like to think that David Attenborough would be pleased to hear of my small efforts to save our oceans from plastic. Sir David, if you are reading this, you are most welcome to come round and peruse my Buddha wraps, as I like to call them now.

x




SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment. GAL x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig