Charity Shop Vintage Finds, Granny Chic, Sewing and Baking with Giddy Aunt Lola

Sunday 8 September 2013

Beautiful Blackberries!



Sunday Afternoon Tease
The glorious thing about Autumn is the the fabulous foraging for free food!


My current husband has been on a successful forage for blackberries and acquired some cooking apples from his parents' garden.  Blackberry and apple is a marriage made in heaven; I'm thinking pies,crumbles and cakes, not forgetting Bramble Jelly. 


Today we are talking crumble, because it has that bung it all in together kind of rough and tumble quality that I love in sweet cakey food.  I love the way you can add so many different combinations into a crumble until you have your own special blend of crumble magic.


I have taken inspiration from Fresh from the Freezer by Ghillie James and made a big batch of crumble today with a view to freezing it in handy sized portions.  I like the idea of having crumble mix already bagged up in the freezer to whip out when the fancy for a crumble overwhelms me, but I'm feeling too lazy to make it.  I used her recipe for an oaty crumble with demerara sugar but I like the idea of adding chopped nuts and coconut too for a bit of excitement.


Forgive me if I ooze a bit; a little bit of blackberry seepage through the crust of one's crumble topping is essential I find.

I trust that you will all be 'at it' this autumn (foraging darlings!) and encourage you to start thinking about experimenting with putting fruit in alcohol.  Last year I made a batch of Blackberry Bacardi and it was simply divine.

TTFN. Galx
SHARE:

2 comments

  1. YUM! I made an apple cobbler today...it 'oozed' too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanna, apple cobbler sounds divine! :)

      Delete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment. GAL x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig